The Language Workshop is closed during the summer
The Language Workshop closes on June 15 and opens again on August 17.
The Language Workshop offers courses in academic writing and oral proficiency in English for international students. Courses in English and Swedish are also offered by the Department of Scandinavian Languages and the English Department.
Projects and development
The Language Workshop is constantly developing, to find new ways to help students improve their language proficiency. Our current projects, which focus on academic English, are:
- Subject guides, UU: This site provides links to a number of dictionaries and databases. Some of them are available to subscribers only. Uppsala University Library subscribes to them and they can be reached from any computer linked to the university network.
- Synonym.com . A quick and easy-to-use dictionary which helps you find synonyms and antonyms.
- FOLDOC. Free On-Line Dictionary of Computing
Grammar and Language
- BBC Skillswise. This site contains exercises and information about various aspects of the English language, such as grammar, spelling, and reading. It also contains fun games to help you improve your language skills.
- Guide to Grammar and Style
- Guide to Grammar and Writing
Guides to essay writing
- Guide to Grammar and Writing. This site provides information about everything from grammar and sentence structure to the writing process and different types of essays. It also offers quizzes and FAQs.
- Advice on Grammar and Writing. This site provides links to guides concerning all areas of essay writing: planning and organizing, reading and researching, using sources, specific types of writing, style and editing, and grammar and punctuation.
- Academic Phrasebank. This site consists of brief information about the different parts of an academic essay together with useful phrases can be used in the different sections.
- Online Technical Writing. A guide for how to write technical reports. It includes examples of texts from various fields.
- Using English for Academic Purposes: A Guide for International Students . An informative site about academic writing.
- WriteFix: Argument and Opinion Essay Writing. Here you will find tips on how to write short argument and opinion compositions.
- University of Richmond, Writing Center. This sites contains information about academic writing in general as well as in different disciplines.
- The Writing Center: University of Wisconsin-Madison. This site provides information about all aspects of academic writing.
- Citing and referencing. This site describes some of the most common systems of documentation.
- Plagiarism.org. This site discusses what plagiarism is and how to avoid it.