Academic language – Literature and links
Below, you will find a selection of books and links to websites that may offer you guidance, tips, and inspiration in your writing. Many of the books are available through Uppsala University Library.
If you are interested in literature and links about writing in Swedish, please visit the Swedish version of this web page.
- Subject guides, UU: This site provides links to a number of dictionaries and databases. Some of them are available to subscribers only. Uppsala University Library subscribes to them and they can be reached from any computer linked to the university network.
- Synonym.com. A quick and easy-to-use dictionary which helps you find synonyms and antonyms.
- FOLDOC. Free On-Line Dictionary of Computing
Grammar and Language
- BBC Skillswise. This site contains exercises and information about various aspects of the English language, such as grammar, spelling, and reading. It also contains fun games to help you improve your language skills.
- Academic Writing in English (Aalto University).
- Academic Writing in English (Lund University).
Guides to essay writing
- Academic Writing in English (Lund University). This site provides information about everything from grammar and sentence structure to the writing process and different types of essays.
- Advice on Academic Writing. This site provides links to guides concerning all areas of essay writing: planning and organizing, reading and researching, using sources, specific types of writing, style and editing, and grammar and punctuation.
- Academic Phrasebank. This site consists of brief information about the different parts of an academic essay together with useful phrases that can be used in the different sections.
- Online Technical Writing. A guide for how to write technical reports. It includes examples of texts from various fields.
- Academic writing (University of Edinburgh). This site offers information about basic aspects of academic writing, as well as academic reading strategies, and critical thinking.
- Using English for Academic Purposes: A Guide for International Students . An informative site about academic writing.
- WriteFix: Argument and Opinion Essay Writing. Here you will find tips on how to write short argument and opinion compositions.
- University of Richmond, Writing Center. This sites contains information about academic writing in general as well as in different disciplines.
- The Writing Center: University of Wisconsin-Madison. This site provides information about all aspects of academic writing.
- Citing and referencing. This site describes some of the most common systems of documentation.
Literature about writing
- Björk, Lennart and Räisänen, Christine. Academic Writing: A University Writing Course. Lund: Studentlitteratur, 2003.
- Bullock Richard. The Norton Field Guide to Writing, with Readings. New York: W.W. Norton & Company, 2006.
- Falk, Angela. Thinking and Writing in Academic Contexts: A University Companion. Lund: Studentlitteratur, 2011.
- Graff, Gerald and Birkenstein, Cathy. They Say/I Say: The Moves that Matter in Academic Writing. New York: W.W. Norton & Company, 2006.
- Malmfors, Birgitta et al. Writing and Presenting Scientific Papers. 2nd ed. Nottingham: Nottingham UP, 2004.
- Swales, John and Feak, Christine B. Academic Writing for Graduate Students. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2002.
Scriptor is a tool for students at Uppsala University and the aim is to help students develop their academic writing skills.
What makes a text well-written? What makes a text academic? These are questions Scriptorsets out to answer. Scriptor is a collection of authentic student texts written by Uppsala University students, and it includes a variety of text types from different academic disciplines.